Life in Chicagoland

We are in the second year of our internship experience at Willow Creek. During this season of our lives we are attempting to balance Seminary work, caring for a sweet little baby girl and still adjusting to life away from our friends and family. We couldn't be more excited about all that God has in store for us!

This blog will be our attempt to share the struggles and joys of this experience...as well as some pictures and an occasional video. We welcome your feedback and comments and will do our best to keep up with the blog on a regular basis!

Enjoy!
Marc, Keri & Leah

Monday, October 12, 2009

A sad weekend

This past Saturday I had the opportunity to officiate a memorial service for a couple in our church. The daughter was delivered early due to complications with a tumor and lived for only 18 hours. Saturday would have marked this precious little girl's one year birthday. Needless to say it was one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do. I had seen some pictures and heard the whole story but was not prepared for the video slide show that replayed much of the story. In that moment, I was rushed back to all of the feelings an emotion that we felt when Leah was in distress during delivery and her stay in the NICU...in that moment I learned a little more about being a pastor. I had to literally tell myself to "get up" and go deliver my message when all I really wanted to do was sit there and cry. By the grace of God (and me taking the time to thankfully write out my message verbatim), we got through it and it was a beautiful time. I am now torn...everything in me hopes that I never have to EVER do a child's funeral/memorial again, however, I saw the hope and gratitude resulting from the process and consider it an honor to have served a family in this way. Another day, another opportunity to grow in my understanding of God's love and the value of community. Thank you for supporting us and being a part of our community that we consider "family".

3 comments:

Jan said...

God bless you, Marc. I miss you all

Aunt Jan

Smith Schoolhouse said...

aww...I'm sure that is THE hardest part of being a pastor.

counting down the days until you can come pastor a church in VA!!! : )

Mom said...

I can't think of ANYTHING harder, Marc, than performing a funeral or memorial service for a child, of any age.
Love and prayers.