Matt and I successfully completed our first half-marathon in at the ever blazing pace of 2 hours and 28 minutes! Actually, Matt would be sure to tell you that he blew me away finishing in 2:28:19 while I barely made it at a tortise-esque time of 2:28:20. One second difference and I'll probably never hear the end of it!Really it was an amazing experience! I didn't keep a journal that day but if I did it would probably look like this:
3:45 am - I am up before the alarm and am going to Matt's to get some pre-race food and drink. The excitement is definately building.
4:15 - We eat our energy packed oatmeal and down some Gatorade and green tea. Somewhere during this time I notice Matt in front of the mirror practicing his posing for when he crosses the finish line!
5:00 - Keri's dad picks us up and I can't help but feel that we truly are in over our heads.
5:20ish - We arrive at the convention center and I quickly realize that we are in a whole new world. A world where I am clearly the guy that you would point out as the one that doesn't fit!
5:45 - After stretching we head to the starting line...I now know how cattle must feel!
6:00 - And we're off...Keri's dad immediately takes off (he's a REAL runner) and Matt and I are energized and excited about the road before us.
6:11 - This isn't so bad.
6:22 - I feel like I can do this all day.
6:33 - The pack is thining out. I feel suprisingly good. This is pretty fun! People are patting Matt on the back for being "inspirational" and he graciously pats me on the back when they pass, calling me "insiprational"!
6:44 - Our goal is 2 Hours and 30 Minutes...that is starting to feel like it is really fast!
6:50 - Why are we doing this again?
6:55 - We're not even half way yet...
7:15 - We are close to the half way point and we have the blessing to see the 2nd and 3rd place finishers cross the finish line! Did I say we were only half way?
Around 8:00 - Keri's dad was finishing and Matt is quoting scripture for strength. I am choosing to try and be outwardly encouraging while inwardly praying that Jesus would come back in the next 5 minutes or so!
8:15 - Less than 2 miles left and I feel good...the runners high has arrived!!
8:16 - Runners high is gone.
8:32 - 2 hours and 28 minutes after we crossed the start line we finished!
This was a huge day for us! I ran further than I ever thought I couldand it was the culmination of a few months of hard work. I could not be prouder of Matt or myself. Who knows, I could definately see another half in the future...a full?
We'll have to wait and see.
No comments:
Post a Comment