Life in Chicagoland

We are in the second year of our internship experience at Willow Creek. During this season of our lives we are attempting to balance Seminary work, caring for a sweet little baby girl and still adjusting to life away from our friends and family. We couldn't be more excited about all that God has in store for us!

This blog will be our attempt to share the struggles and joys of this experience...as well as some pictures and an occasional video. We welcome your feedback and comments and will do our best to keep up with the blog on a regular basis!

Enjoy!
Marc, Keri & Leah

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Running the Race


I have been working out with my friend Matt for the past few months and we are now less than two weeks away from our first ever attempt at a half marathon. That's right, 13.1 miles of joy! I have been learning some very valuable lessons as we seek to accomplish this task.

1.) It is WAY easier to run when you have someone that is running alongside of you.
2.) Commitment to the long haul is more effective than trying to go too far too fast.
3.) The right shoes and socks DO make a difference!
4.) Finishing the race is more important to me than "looking good" doing it.

I believe that many of these principles that I am learning from this preparation can also be translated to my life as a Christ-follower. I need men and women that I can run with and that will run with me, so that we can mutually encourage each other to keep going, even when we want to stop because it hurts or gets hard. I am equally reminded that we need to "work out our faith" through a committed long haul process that doesn't always yield results overnight. Finally, concerning the shoes and socks, sometimes the cost associated with getting the proper training tools are high (emotionally, financially, spiritually) but the rewards of this investment makes this a good deal. With the right tools we will be able to go further, reach higher and finish stronger than we could with the bare minimum.

There is a race laid out before us all, I pray that I run it well...even if it means crawling over the finish line!

No comments: